Often considered one of the liveliest cities in Europe, Edinburgh is a tourist paradise sitting on the shoulder of an extinct volcano. Stepping out of Waverley station and onto Princes Street gardens, there are two sides to choose from. On the southside, the city is defined by the network of medieval streets of Old Town, formerly and affectionately known as Auld Reekie. Littered with cozy pubs, wool shops and historical monuments, the Old Town is packed with gothic buildings perched on winding cobbled streets, with plenty of little alleys and wynds to explore. On the opposite side, New Town is considered the more stylish, sophisticated half of the city; Neo-classical in design and perfect for those looking to spend a few days shopping and dining.
Inclusive and dynamic, Edinburgh is a hub of culture with a litany of festivals, art shows and theatre performances taking place throughout the year. There are a multitude of iconic bars and restaurants to try, and don’t forget the haggis and Irn Bru!
Key Annual Events
- Highland Games – held throughout Scotland during spring and summer, the Highland Games are a centuries old tradition that celebrate Scottish and Celtic culture.
- BurnsNight – on the 25thJanuary, noted poet Robert Burns is celebrated throughout the capital. Starting with the traditional Burns Night supper, toast a dram to Rabbie Burns and party with the locals!
- FringeFestival – the world’s largest Arts festival with hundreds of shows spanning across the month of August.
- Hogmanay – Edinburgh’s legendary street New Year’s street party!
- North Coast 500 - Scotland’s own Route 66! A 500 mile round trip focusing on the most scenic sites in Northern Scotland.
- Inverness - located in the highlands, visitors love its expansive landscapes, quaint surrounding towns, medieval ruins and prehistoric sites.
- Aberdeen - also known as The Granite City, and famous for its locally quarried granite stone ornate architecture.
Edinburgh Waverley Station InformationEverything you need to know about Edinburgh Waverley Station can be found here:
There’s information from accessibility to parking and ticketing to WiFi coverage. More details on our wider network can be found on this page.